You start and end the day in your bedroom. It’s the one place in your home where you can get away and have all of your things right where you want them. Unfortunately, it’s one of the first rooms to become disorganized and cluttered. May 10 is Clean Up Your Room Day in Falls Church, Virginia, so what better time to wake up and start out by getting your bedroom in order and feeling like a cozy haven once again.
Clean Before You Organize
Before you organize your room, it’s best to clean it first. Cleaning your room means more than picking up all the empty water bottles, taking dirty plates to the kitchen and removing any trash that found its way under your bed. It also means dusting neglected areas and wiping down surfaces with a washcloth.
- Clean the dust from between the blinds and on the surface of the curtains.
- Use a feather duster to remove dust from lampshades and bookshelves.
- Wipe down the top and front of dressers and tables with surface cleaner and a washcloth.
- Rinse the cloth, and use it to clean the baseboards, windowsills and doors.
Get Yourself Organized
You can’t just rearrange your bedroom furniture or put everything back in its place and call your bedroom organized. You may have to say goodbye to certain things if you want to create more room and truly organize your space.
- Go through all the clothes in your dresser and closet, and make two piles: one to keep and one to go. You don’t have to throw the clothes away. You can either donate clothes that you don’t wear to charity or keep them in storage units until you decide to wear them again.
- Invest in space-saving kits to keep your clothes and shoes separated and to create more walking space in smaller closets.
- Replacing your old bed frame with one that has cubbyholes can give you extra storage space and help organize smaller items. You can also fill dresser drawers with your belongings and slide them under the bed, creating your own built-in storage compartments.
- Maximize your storage space by installing shelves on the walls and hangers on the back of your door. You can store everything from books to knickknacks and display them nicely without being in the way.
Use Storage Facilities to Your Advantage
No matter how much you organize, you may run into a challenge with an extremely small bedroom. When you need more space, Self Storage Services in Falls Church has you covered. With storage units in every size and for every budget available, you’ll have the right amount of space for your belongings while making more room back at home.