As the school year in Woodbridge, Virginia comes to an end, it feels like we’re all just barely scraping by. Not just students, but teachers and parents are eager to welcome a summer break from all the grading, homework and projects. This isn’t normally the time of year to hold a school supplies drive, but there’s no better way to celebrate teacher’s than helping them continue to do what they do best, with all the supplies they need.
After all, teachers get inundated with gifts each year, yet what they really need is help supplying their classroom. That’s why we’ve put together a guide to planning a school supplies drive in Woodbridge, and how storage facilities can help keep it all together.
Self Storage Services Guide to School Supplies Drive
List of Basic School Supplies:
- Paper, notebooks, index cards
- Stapler, staples, paper clips
- Pencils, pens, erasers, pencil sharpeners
- Crayons, markers, highlighters
- Glue sticks, tape, scissors
- Binders, folders, report covers
- Protractors, rulers, calculators
- Dry-erase markers and boards
To put a spin on the supplies drive, consider putting together a list of atypical items such as useful technology, like cameras, tablets, educational DVDs or software programs.
- Start by getting help from your kids, family and friends – then divide up the tasks
- Get in touch with the teacher to obtain a list of items needed for next year
- Make a checklist that includes the items and the amount needed of each
- Figure out how long you want to collect.
- Assign an adult to rent a self storage unit at Self Storage Services in Woodbridge to create a drop-off point and a place to store and organize everything
Spread the Word
- Make flyers for placing around the school and storage unit
- The information to include on the flyers is:
- What items are needed and how many
- Dates of the drive
- Contact number/email for scheduling drop-offs
- Address of your storage unit in Woodridge
- Make a social media plan for spreading the word
- Facebook Event Page
- Instagram for donated items
- Send out emails to your network
Finalize Everything at the Storage Facilities
Once items are collected and the supplies drive is over, now you need to organize everything. That means going through your checklist and grouping everything by type of item. When you’re packing, remember to keep items as light as possible for easy moving. Self Storage Services has all the boxes and moving supplies you’ll need, right on site. When both you and the teacher are ready, schedule some time to bring the supplies to the school.
And of course, don’t forget to give everyone a big thanks for all of their help on making this a successful school supplies drive. Also, send the teacher a warm thanks on National Teacher’s Day.