If you live near Virginia Beach, Virginia and you love to fly a kite, April 30th might be your favorite day of the year. The 12th Annual Atlantic Coast Kite Festival will be held on the beach that Saturday, and people of all ages and skill levels are invited to join in the fun. After a long and dreary winter, kite lovers will be getting their favorite kites out of their garages, basements and storage facilities to fly them high and enter them into the festival’s Best Kite Contest. If you want to enter, you’ll need a high-quality, attractive kite, and you’ll also need to prove your ability to fly it.
Make Your Own Awesome Kite for the Festival
The Atlantic Coast Kite Festival is offering free, hands-on workshops that help you learn how to build a kite and teach you the basic aerodynamics and safety rules of kite-flying. If you want to create your own air-worthy masterpiece before the festival date, you can learn how to make basic kites at My Best Kite.com.
Kite Flying Tips for Beginners
- Although you may have been told that running is the best way to launch a kite, doing so can actually make it more difficult or even cause your kite to crash. Let the wind and your kite’s reel do the work instead of your feet.
- If wind conditions are suitable, stand facing away from the wind, and hold up your kite to let it catch the breeze. As it lifts, release the line carefully. If the wind slows down, reel some line back in to maintain stability.
- Your line is your best tool for controlling your airborne kite. Steady tension on the line will produce even flight. Release line to respond to wind changes, and reel it in if you notice slack.
- Never let your line out so far that none is left.
- When you’re ready to land, slowly reel your line in while maintaining light tension to prevent tangling. If your kite starts to loop, slow down or ask a friend to help you walk your kite down by following its line.
Storage Facilities in Virginia Beach, Virginia Can Help
If you don’t have room to work on your handmade kite, the many affordable storage units in Virginia Beach, Virginia provide the perfect solution. Storage units make great workshops, and they can keep even a giant kite safe and secure until it’s time to set sail again. Contact Self Storage Services today for pricing and availability details.